As we quickly approach our due date for Baby #2 I find myself questioning a lot of things that I never thought real hard about when I was pregnant with Hayden. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I had NO CLUE what to expect with anything regarding birth, newborn stage, breastfeeding, etc. so I figured why worry about it?
This time I know how things can go and what worked with Hayden so I’m worried about how to handle different things if they don’t work with this baby. So I’m asking you all for your opinions or thoughts from personal experience…
Also, you may think I am crazy after reading this but don’t judge. I am 37+ weeks pregnant, I get a pass when it comes to being crazy haha!
And I realize every child is different so most of these thoughts/worries are pointless but I’d still appreciate the help!
1. Do I need to get new parts for my breast pump? I feel like I did a pretty good job of cleaning it while I was using it as well as a good deep clean before I stored it away. Some people suggest getting new tubing… thoughts?
2. When you have two carseats in the back where did you put the baby? I always had Hayden behind the passenger seat so I could see him easier and tend to him if I needed to. Do I switch him to behind me so I can see the baby or is it a bad idea to change him from what he is used to?
3. When I was pregnant with Hayden I had stocked up on like 6 different kids of pacifiers because I knew some babies preferred certain kids over others. It turned out Hayden used a pacifier one time (our ride home from the hospital) but never wanted anything to do with it after that. We tried many different kinds but he didn’t like them and seemed content without. So now I’m wondering if I should try to skip the pacifier altogether with #2 and not even offer it or should I have a couple on hand just in case? It sure was nice not to have to break the paci habit or worry about it falling out at night and him waking up, etc. It seems like it could be more of a nuisance than a help. But what if this baby “needs” that sucking motion to calm??
4. We didn’t use a swing for Hayden and he hated the bouncy chair. He was basically held, laid on the floor with his playmat, propped up on his Boppy, or slept in his Rock N Play. He was an awesome sleeper from the beginning, he never had a crutch for how to get to sleep (like he never had to be in his swing to nap, etc.) so do I do the same with this baby in hopes that he/she will be a good sleeper too or do I try the swing, bouncy chair, etc? I have a feeling I am going to have to pull out some helpers beings I will be needing to tend to a toddler too.
5. For those of you who have older children and then had babies, did you bring the sibling to the hospital to meet the new baby? I am really worried about how Hayden is going to react seeing me in a hospital bed and me not being able to leave the hospital when it’s time for him to go home. I know this will probably be harder on me than him, but I’ve thought about maybe just not bringing Hayden to the hospital and having us bring the baby home to meet him there for the first time. Although I know I am going to want to see him because I’ll miss him while I’m at the hospital!
6. How in the world am I going to keep Hayden occupied when I am constantly nursing the baby those first couple weeks?! He is so used to having my attention and being at his beck and call. I don’t want him to feel like I am ignoring him or that I can’t play with him/help him when he needs it.
7. Any tips on helping Hayden adjust in general?
So if you are still reading and don’t think I’m a total nut, I’d appreciate your input. I’m sure I’m over-thinking all of these things, but Hayden was just such an easy baby I am terrified this one is going to make us pay haha!